The Church of San Francesco in Civitanova Marche Alta, originally dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, later became the Church of Santa Maria and San Francesco. Its original design is from the 13th century, with subsequent restructuring works carried out in the mid-18th century, giving it the layout that can be seen today. The epigraph on the intrados of the main arch shows 1769 as being the completion date for the walls, the construction of the drum, the ovoid-planned dome, the lantern and the new layout of the entire church body. The installation of the organ, attributed to Pietro Nacchini, probably took place in this period. The abundant 17th-century stucco decorations are the work of Giacchino Varlè from Ancona. The chapels of the Centofiorini, Natinguerra and Frisciotti families were created before the 18th-century restructuring works and incorporated into the existing structure as commemorative spaces. The carved stone doorway with its truncated arch, which formed part of the original layout, already bears traces of Renaissance influence. The bell tower dates to the second half of the 15th century and is attributed to Marino di Marco Cedrino from Venice. After the suppression of the religious orders, the Church of San Francesco was abandoned and the adjoining convent was used as a barracks for the Carabinieri and later housed the magistrates’ court and prison. Before the present restoration, there were clear signs of gradual and irreversible decay, due to lack of attention and the earthquake that affected Umbria and the Marches in 1997. Today, the “San Francesco” Multimedia Centre forms part of the cultural activities which have been a feature of the work of the “Marco Moretti” Municipal Picture Gallery for some time, and the entire upper town enjoys an extensive museum network.