Just outside the walls of Civitanova Alta, beside Industrial Zone B, stands the 18th-century church of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The church, built in 1794, contains a small chapel with a fresco of the Virgin Mary and Child between St. John the Baptist and St. James the Greater, by an unknown artist. The building was constructed in memory the miraculous apparition and extraordinary lights that appeared to indicate the site where the future Church was to be built. These extraordinary events are the reason behind the name “Madonna dei Lumi” (Virgin of Lights) given to the place and the church by popular devotion.