The Church of San Marone, whose origins are very ancient, perhaps dating back to the 9th century, was built on the site where the city’s patron saint was martyred. He was the first apostle of the Picenum region and died as a martyr between the first and second century A.D. His relics are preserved beneath the main altar. The district named after him developed in the area around the church over the course of the centuries. Restoration work was done on the building during the 16th and 18th centuries, and it underwent renovation once more towards the end of the 19th century, with the addition of a new bell tower. The church has a central nave and two lateral aisles, and contains ancient architectural remains from the original structure. The present facade is the work of the architect Giuseppe Sacconi, and the lunette above the entrance, showing the Virgin and Child with St. Marone and St. Domitilla, was painted by the artist Sigismondo Nardi at the end of the 19th century. The church was spared during the bombardments of the Second World War, and the most recent works carried out, in 1946, brought to light new evidence of the presence of a Roman and early-Christian settlement in the surrounding area.