Villa San Michele or Villa Conti

Lattanzi Enrico 2
Villa San Michele, located between the port and the upper town, was the residence of the Conti family, who were aristocratic landowners originally from the town of Fiastra. The villa is a complex of buildings and service facilities within the grounds of a large park that contains valuable tree species. It began in the second half of the 19th century […] [continua]

Church of the Madonna dei Lumi

Just outside the walls of Civitanova Alta, beside Industrial Zone B, stands the 18th-century church of Santa Maria degli Angeli. The church, built in 1794, contains a small chapel with a fresco of the Virgin Mary and Child between St. John the Baptist and St. James the Greater, by an unknown artist. The building was constructed in memory the miraculous […] [continua]

Church of the Capuchin Fathers

A short detour to the right off the road from Civitanova Alta to Montecosaro (the “Le Vergini” State Highway) leads to the gates of the cemetery, beside which stands the convent and church of the Capuchin Fathers. They were both built in 1625, but the church, dedicated to St. John the Baptist, was rebuilt in 1819. It houses numerous works […] [continua]

Auditorium of Sant’Agostino

Auditorium di S. Agostino
This is a single-naved Church with a Romanesque Gothic plan, built in the heart of the city, originally dedicated to St. Anthony and later to St. Augustine. Its interior was radically renewed in the 18th century, adapting it to the Rococo fashion. It was adorned with elegant stucco decorations attributed to the sculptor Agostino Varlè, increased in height to accommodate […] [continua]

Church of the Santissimo Sacramento

The Church of the Santissimo Sacramento, built before the 16th century, stands in the square of the former Civitanova Marche Alta Hospital. It belonged to the “Confraternita della Misericordia” (Mercy Confraternity), on whom the adjacent hospital depended, and was taken over in 1785 by the “Confraternita del Santissimo Sacramento” (Blessed Sacrament Confraternity), which is still in charge of it. The […] [continua]

“Palazzo della Delegazione”

The municipal authorities in the upper town extended the east side of the priory building between 1600 and 1700. Further alterations were carried out by the architect Giovambattista Vassalli between 1777 and 1781. The priory building was then demolished in 1867 and replaced with the new municipal headquarters, designed by the engineer Guglielmo Prosperi from Macerata and built by the […] [continua]

Church of San Paolo

Chiesa di San Paolo (foto Tramannoni)
The Church of San Paolo is already mentioned in 1212, as can be seen in a Bull by Pope Alexander IV from 1258. The privilege elevating it to the status of collegiate church was obtained under Pope Clement VIII in 1592. During the fiefdom of the Cesarini, the need was felt to enlarge and modify the urban layout of the […] [continua]

San Francesco Multimedia Centre

Spazio Multimediale "San Francesco"
The Church of San Francesco in Civitanova Marche Alta, originally dedicated to St. Mary Magdalene, later became the Church of Santa Maria and San Francesco. Its original design is from the 13th century, with subsequent restructuring works carried out in the mid-18th century, giving it the layout that can be seen today. The epigraph on the intrados of the main […] [continua]

Church of San Marone

Santuario di San Marone
The Church of San Marone, whose origins are very ancient, perhaps dating back to the 9th century, was built on the site where the city’s patron saint was martyred. He was the first apostle of the Picenum region and died as a martyr between the first and second century A.D. His relics are preserved beneath the main altar. The district […] [continua]

Sanctuary of Santa Maria Apparente and the Torrione

Santuario Santa Maria Apparente
This typical country church, dating back to the 16th century and renovated on several occasions, stands on the site where, according to tradition, the Virgin Mary appeared to a farmer on 5 June 1411. There was a popular belief that if women who had just given birth drank the holy water from the well inside the church, they would produce […] [continua]
1 2